In 2018, the AIC Scheme established a series of residencies for artists from culturally diverse backgrounds. Each residency aims to support an artist from a minority ethnic or migrant background to develop their collaborative and socially engaged arts practice, and is offered through partnerships between Create and a number of arts organisations and festivals, supporting collaborative and socially engaged arts practice. The residencies take the form of a four-week in-depth process, often scheduled to incorporate Refugee Week. The residencies emphasise the importance of research and development, providing much needed time and space to the artists to grow and develop their collaborative practice.
Since 2018, the Residency has been awarded to:
- 2018 Residency with Fire Station Artists Studios – Hina Khan
- 2019 Residency with Fire Station Artists Studios – Rajinder Singh
- 2019 Residency with Carlow Arts Festival – Chinedum Muotto
- 2020 Residency with Sirius Arts Centre – Rita Marcalo
- 2021 Remote Residency with Fire Station Artists Studios – Gea Gojak
- 2021 Residency with The Model, Sligo – Nadia Tamerji